UNDP Job RECRUITS NATIONAL PROJECT OFFICER – CAPACITY BUILDING (ANTI-CORRUPTION) Nigeria 2014
ORGANISATIONAL SETTING AND REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS:
This position is located in the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Country Office in Abuja, Nigeria (CONIG). Working under the overall guidance of UNODC Country Representative and under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator and the Project Expert in charge of Capacity Building, the incumbent will assist with operations and execution of the project’s capacity building component, as well as core UNODC activities.
|Location :||Abuja, NIGERIA|
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will carry out the following tasks:
- .Implement the specified project activities in accordance with approved annual work plans jointly formulated with the beneficiaries.
- Provide advice and guidance to Anti-Corruption Agencies (ACAs) with respect to training in the areas of investigation, prosecution, and other issues under the auction of the Project Coordinator and the Project Expert in charge of Capacity Building, to meet the specific needs of participating institutions.
- Identify capacity building needs with beneficiaries, draft terms of reference and engage experts for project training workshops, meetings and study tours.
- Coordinate and liaise regularly on project activities and implementation with relevant units of UNODC Headquarters in Vienna, relevant international training centres, UNODC field offices, and designated project managers and other senior professionals of beneficiary entities
- Develop, maintain, and intensify contacts with international and local institutions and trainers on issues related to strengthening the capacities of ACAs.
- Identify appropriate institutions, training programs, workshops, conferences, and possible sites for study tours, exchange programmes, on-the-job training, and mentoring programmes in collaboration with ACAs.
- Prepare and deliver all necessary financial and operational revisions and reports.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the enhancement of networking and coordination to combat corruption, capacity building and training;
- Knowledge of best practices/approaches for capacity building and training, knowledge of programme management cycle, including monitoring & evaluation tools and reporting on results, in particular as regards project impact and areas of improvement;
- Ability to identify and contribute to the solution of problems/issues;
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- Remains calm in stressful situations;
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively with a range of audiences, including ability to prepare reports, make presentations in a variety of fora;
- Able to conduct presentations by clearly formulating positions on issues, articulating options concisely, conveying maximum necessary information as well as making and defending recommendations;
- Possesses excellent drafting and communication skills with proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to match style and format to audience.
- Actively seeks to improve programmes or services;
- Offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs;
- Promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas;
- Takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas;
- Thinks “outside the box”;
- Takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things;
- Is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view;
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect;
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions;
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems;
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Works collaboratively with colleagues within and outside of UNODC to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise;
- Is willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
- Able to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor work while prioritizing competing demands; able to work on tight deadlines;
- Knowledge on how to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- Monitors and adjusts plans and projects as necessary;
- Uses time efficiently.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree) in law, criminology, public or business administration, social sciences or related field including anti-corruption, economic and financial crime, law enforcement,or criminal justice.
- A minimum of 8 years of progressive professional experience in the field of anti-corruption, criminal justice or a related field especially in a capacity building, networking, training or coordination capacities.
- Knowledgeable in devising and administering capacity building programmes for institutions.
- In-depth knowledge of anti-corruption and/or, organized crime as they relate to Nigeria is required.
- Substantial experience in managing training programmes, and measuring their impact and the impact of various projects is also necessary.
- Substantial experience in results-based management, project monitoring, reporting and evaluation is required.
- Work experience in the United Nations System or European Union-funded projects would be an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- For the post advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.
- Knowledge of other UN official languages is an asset.
The UN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.